Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Finland Sikh fights for right to wear turban


A Sikh bus driver in Finland is fighting for his right to wear a turban while at work. 

Gill Sukhdarshan Singh, who works at the Veolia bus company at Vantaa near the Finnish capital of Helsinki, is trying to set a precedent by making the authorities allow him to wear a turban at work.


Yle, the Finnish public broadcasting company, reported Tuesday.  "I have a right to my turban, and I am a Sikh" the report quoted Singh as saying. "I believe it is no problem to any other religions, as we do not disturb any other religion, we only believe in our religion", said Singh.
Singh was among the first Sikhs to move to Nordic country in the 1980s.  After a visit to the Indian state of Punjab in December last year, he decided to wear a turban while at work.  Nobody raised any objection for two months but then the authorities concerned told him to remove it to comply with company uniform rules. 
Singh's son Sukhnavdeep Singh Gill also wears a turban and says he would like to complete his military service in Finland wearing it.  Sukhnavdeep said., "It is my right to go for military service. I want to be a part of it, and my religion shouldn't be a problem. I don't want to be treated differently, it's my right"

with thanks : Hindustan Times : LINK : for detailed news.

No comments: