Friday, November 12, 2010

Sikh parade impresses

My husband and I were blessed to be able to attend, for the first time, the Sikh Parade in Tierra Buena. We had a great time and are already making plans to go next year.

We already thought East Indian folks were great, and this event solidified our feelings. At each of the food booths we visited (and we tried to visit all of them, but our stomachs could not hold any more goodies) we were made to feel welcome. The food was great, and I was thrilled when I found a booth that had saag (creamed spinach).

We did not understand the significance of the street sweepers in front of the first float, but judging by the very soothing chanting of the throng surrounding the float, we guessed it was for making the street holy. We were also impressed by how peaceful the entire event was. We have been spectators at many parades, and without fail, there is some jerk who ruins the fun for many. That was not the case at this event. It was, as one gentleman told me, "a different kind of fun." He made my day.

To the Sikh community, thank you from my family. I am proud we are neighbors. May God bless you.

Jonette Bumgarner

Colusa

with thanks : appeal-democrat : link in headline above.

SikhsIndia

No comments: